Prevent ads from being displayed on any device that is connected through a router. All you need is an Open WRT compatible router, a script and a little know how. This is a better alternative than downloading Adblock or ublock extensions on your browser as it applies to all connected devices.
Quick start guide to ad free experience with your router:
- Make sure your router is compatible with Open WRT
- Flash your router with Open WRT
- Place the script anywhere on the file system and run it once
- The script will pull down new lists of known ad and malware servers every Tuesday at 3 am
- Enjoy your ad free web browsing experience in all your devices connected through that router
What does the script do?
This script basically tricking your device into thinking that the ad servers don't exist so it can't load the ads.
The script downloads a list of known ad servers from a community maintained list every Tuesday at 3 am, and then adds them to a network-wide blacklist on your router which then blocks DNS lookups. This blacklist of IPs will not resolve so when your devices send requests for those ads, nothing will come back.
What is Open WRT?
OpenWrt is built from the ground up to be a full-featured, easily modifiable operating system for your router. In practice, this means that you can have all the features you need with none of the bloat.
What routers are compatible?
For a full list of routers that are compatible with Open WRT, check here.
- ssh into your router
- mkdir -p /tmp/etc/config
- chmod 770 /tmp/etc/config
- copy script to /tmp/etc/config/adblock.wanup
- chmod 700 /tmp/etc/config/adblock.wanup
- log into dd-wrt admin and set "addn-hosts=/tmp/adblocker_hostlist" as additional dnsmasq options.
- click apply/save